DC-SWAT Forum

Полная версия: Problems with SATA adapter-DS won't boot!
Вы просматриваете yпpощеннyю веpсию форума. Пеpейти к полной веpсии.
So, I installed a IDE to SATA adapter, hardwired it to the motherboard, in hopes of using a built in 1.8" SATA HDD.

Finished the whole thing, pin checked every connection, used thicker wire for power and ground, but Dreamshell refuses to boot still.

I set de adapter to "Slave", formatted the HDD to FAT32, but the problem still persists.
Even if I try to remove the HDD from the SATA adapter, Dreamshell still won't boot.
So whatever the problem is, it lies in the adapter side.

Besides Dreamshell, everything works perfect.
The adapter blinks it's LEDs, the HDD spins, I can still play discs on the console....

I'm using Dramshell 4.0 RC3 by the way.

Any ideas of what could be causing this problem?

PS: Before I installed the SATA adapter, Dreamshell would boot just fine.
PPS: the adapter I'm using is the red one from DealXtreme:
http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_12537_1.jpg
Not all SATA adapters works, I don't know why...
Seems you have no luck Sad
I see...
Well, this red adapter was one of the highest compatibility ones you could buy back then... It even work with the PS2 and Xbox!
Anyways, I removed this adapter from dreamcast, and will use it in my PS2 intead.

Could you send me a link of all SATA adapters that Dreamshell is 100% compatible with?

If I get this to work, I'll install a 250GB INTERNAL HDD in my Dreamcast. I've made a few tests, and a 1.8" HDD will fit inside it.

See the red thingy inside it?
[Изображение: 2015-09-06-0548_zpsqmp6tdro.jpg]

It's a 1:1 scale of a 1.8" HDD, made out of cardboard. And I was able to close the case with that inside it. heheh
This adapter is the fact that it works smoothly and is the same one I use in my consoles with 500 GB HDD 2.5 .
But the last one I ordered 3 of them worked for me . The HDD is recognized but does not start Dreamshell Sad
Yeah, it's a shame, because it's an excellent adapter, and cheap too!

I've read before that people had success with StarTech's SATA adapter on dreamcast.
http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/25i...r~IDE2SAT2

Aparently, it uses a Marvell 88SA8052 controller, wich is said to be THE BEST controller for SATA-IDE adapters.

I searched online and came across this one too:
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/ide-pata-to-s...apter.html

Wich uses this same Marvell 88SA8052 controller, but costing 9 dollars less.

Just looked here, and my adapter from dealxtreme uses a SPIF223A chipset, wich is not a very good controller. Maybe that's why Dreamshell doesn't like it and refuses to boot.

Reading online, people say the best controllers are the ones from Marvell.
Second best would be the JMicron JM20330 controller.

I think both have a good chance of working with Dreamshell.
Well, bought a new adapter for me, this time with the Marvell 88SA8052 controller.

If that doesn't work, I give up! xD
Well, the new adapter with a Marvell controller finally arrived.

Hardwired it like before, plugged a 2.5" SATA HDD formatted to FAT32, and Dreamshell still refuses to boot. (freezes in the black and red logo screen)
This time, however, if I try to remove the HDD (keeping the adapter wired), dreamshell boots and works perfectly.

This new behaviour makes me wonder if my SATA HDD isn't the cause of the problem this time...
Gotta find another HDD and test it with my setup...
URL ссылки