DC-SWAT Forum

Полная версия: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene
Вы просматриваете yпpощеннyю веpсию форума. Пеpейти к полной веpсии.
Hi there,

I've recently learned that it was possible to buy an SD adapter to plug into the serial port of the Dreamcast in order to load games in ISO format. Now I do this with my XBOX, Wii and PSP games because it's convenient, works with all of my games and preserves my original discs. I don't do with a PS2 because it's slow and not all games are compatible.

Now here are my questions:

1- Does the concept of SD via serial port + Dreamshell work with games (if not most) games of every region (my DC does have a region modchip if it helps) ?

2- Will gameplay, music and cutscenes play at the same speed as it would when using GD-ROMs?

3- Can I rip my own original games instead of downloading them (I have a data cap with my ISP)?

4- Is there a software in Dreamshell that will allow me to backup my VMU files to the SD card and in turn, allows me to transfer those files when I connect the SD card to my PC?

Thank you for your time
1. DreamShell is region free and can boot games with any region
2. Nope, sometimes speed of SD via serial isn't enough, so better choice it's a HDD mod than SD.
3. Yes, DS has GD Ripper application
4. Yes, DS has VMU Manager application
(20.07.2016 20:37)SWAT писал(а): [ -> ]1. DreamShell is region free and can boot games with any region
2. Nope, sometimes speed of SD via serial isn't enough, so better choice it's a HDD mod than SD.
3. Yes, DS has GD Ripper application
4. Yes, DS has VMU Manager application

I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

Oh well, guess I'll stick with my discs.

Thanks anyway
(20.07.2016 21:55)the_importer писал(а): [ -> ]I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

It's possible to use an 2,5" HDD (either 44pinIDE or SATA via adapter) and self-powered it from the DC internal PSU. Also it's possible to do the same thing with CF Card.
(21.07.2016 00:22)Gillbert писал(а): [ -> ]
(20.07.2016 21:55)the_importer писал(а): [ -> ]I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

It's possible to use an 2,5" HDD (either 44pinIDE or SATA via adapter) and self-powered it from the DC internal PSU. Also it's possible to do the same thing with CF Card.

SD internally, you mean like this: https://gdemu.wordpress.com/installation...tallation/
No, I really meant HDD mod, not this expensive GD-EMU Smile
(21.07.2016 00:57)Gillbert писал(а): [ -> ]No, I really meant HDD mod, not this expensive GD-EMU Smile

The problem is that I have no modding skills. So if I were to pay for parts and any sort of modding services, it would come down to the same price as buying the GD-EMU which can be installed with the use of a single screwdriver.
With the SD mod many games will nota work nice..
I have the skills, in half hour u got a HDD mod with a 2.5 HDD powered by the Dreamcast Wink
(22.07.2016 16:01)rafa_apm писал(а): [ -> ]With the SD mod many games will nota work nice..
I have the skills, in half hour u got a HDD mod with a 2.5 HDD powered by the Dreamcast Wink

Thanks, but I'm in Canada, don't feel like shipping out my Dreamcast to where ever you live.
URL ссылки