DC-SWAT Forum

Полная версия: Freezing at bootloader with StarTech adapter
Вы просматриваете yпpощеннyю веpсию форума. Пеpейти к полной веpсии.
I'm attempting to use the StarTech IDESAT2 SATA adapter (the red PCB) and a 120GB hard disk with Dreamshell. I'm finding that the bootloader will recognise the disk properly will also show up as a selectable option in the boot menu however in both cases it will immediately freeze the console whenever it attempts to boot.

I have tried with pin 1 connected, floating and grounded via a 10k resistor as has been recommended before but nothing seems to work.
Are you sure you are in slave mode ?
Disk format in fat 32, 64ko cluster.
Try without any pin 1.
Disconnecting pin 1 allowed it to boot to Dreamshell, as long as I press start and select the device. Automatic booting didn't work. Neither does 0.7.0 ISO loader, it says the following:

DreamShell ISO from IDE loader v0.7.0
Initializing IDE...
Can't init IDE
Error, can't init IDE.
Failed!.
In IDE you must have the DS folder too same as sdcard, on root the IGR folder with DS_CORE.BIN and in order to be sure the DS_CORE.BIN on the root too. I did like that.
Running games with v0.7.0 must have a defragmented drive, use defraggler for your HDD.

If you use a sata drive I don't know what model works, but with ssd : samsung and crucial works well.

For me, when I'm reading your error message is a welding error, only pin 2 as short as possible if you don't use a pcb, max 5cm for 0.7.x.
It works with an other IDE to SATA converter ?

Hope you will be able to run this IDE to SATA converter, it looks like a very good model, may you would run visual concept games with it.
It's a good thing you are trying :-)
I can't say whether or not I have my DS folder layout set exactly as you outlined it at the moment with DS_CORE.BIN in the appropriate places. However I know that it is set up the same as when I was using a CF card (which worked perfectly).

I also know that my drive has absolutely no fragmentation, I believe the 0.7.0 loader would warn me of this if I did and I can confirm in Defraggler that this isn't an issue.

I'm using a generic 120GB Toshiba hard disk which could be the issue for all I know. I have other drives I can test with so I'll get back to you on this one.

As for the soldering, I am using Dragoncity's G1-ATA adapter board so I presume pin 2 is an appropriate length. And my generic adapter (chip is labelled B75TT0041, no results online) doesn't work any better. I'll pick up the JM20330 adapters others have tried and used as well for experimentation. I'm happy to spend some money to share my experiences and knowledge with everyone else should it be of any value to anyone.
If you can try a JM20330, you'll see if the issue is adapter or your hdd.
Strangely the issue appears to be neither. I set up a new drive and got it to work just fine with the 0.7.0 loader and boot directly without going to the boot menu. I switched back to the 120GB Toshiba and it did the same thing. Everything works as it should now and I have no clue why Big Grin
Sometimes there is some mystery ^^
Have you notice some differences ? Have you tried some visual concept games ?

EDIT the complete list of games ok in ide and not with ssd JM20330 adapter :

Floigan Bros. - Episode 1
Geist Force
NBA 2K
NBA 2K1
NBA 2K2
NCAA College Football 2K2 - Road to the Rose Bowl
NFL 2K
NFL 2K1
NFL 2K2
Ooga Booga
San Francisco Rush 2049 (Rush 2049)