DC-SWAT Forum
sd card / dreamshell difficulties - Версия для печати

+- DC-SWAT Forum (http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum)
+-- Форум: Sega Dreamcast (/forum-2.html)
+--- Форум: English section (/forum-29.html)
+--- Тема: sd card / dreamshell difficulties (/thread-2124.html)

sd card / dreamshell difficulties - Slade - 06.05.2014 18:31

Dear SWAT team!

First of all I am totally noob in dreamcast modding, so please be patient with me. I downloaded the Dreamshell RC1 + boot loader from this site, burnt the loader onto a disk and put the DS file into the root of the sd card.
When I start the dreamcast with sd plugged in, at the screen where I can select “boot from sd card” I got a massage below: Cant init file system. What does it mean? I tried to format the sd card to Fat32 and ntfs, but got the same massage, and can not go further. Is there any solution for that?

Thanks in advance.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - SWAT - 06.05.2014 20:00

Hello. Just try another SD Card... Or check your SD adapter.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - Slade - 06.05.2014 22:16

(06.05.2014 20:00)SWAT писал(а):  Hello. Just try another SD Card... Or check your SD adapter.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately do not have spare of it so i have to buy one. Can you please let me know what micro sd card shoulf i get? I mean which brand, capacity and class do you recommend to use?

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - SWAT - 07.05.2014 05:33

Kingston/Transcend/SanDisk, 6-10 Class, 4-16 GB.
If you want to use new SD only on DC, buy full sized card, not micro, because microSD -> SD adapters are not reliable.
When formatting to FAT, make the cluster size is not less than 32 KB, for more optimize reading.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - Slade - 07.05.2014 08:45

(07.05.2014 05:33)SWAT писал(а):  Kingston/Transcend/SanDisk, 6-10 Class, 4-16 GB.
If you want to use new SD only on DC, buy full sized card, not micro, because microSD -> SD adapters are not reliable.
When formatting to FAT, make the cluster size is not less than 32 KB, for more optimize reading.

Thank you again. I just made the built in sd card reader; instruction was taken fromhttp://www.dallaslive.de/vdr/projects/retro-consoles/dreamcast/index-en.php where they said its working/ tested with micro sd card without adapter. But it seems its not?! Fortunately i did not remove the sd slot from the adapter so i can test with a full sd card.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - SWAT - 07.05.2014 13:39

Doesn't matter, use SD card size as your socket size. Just not use additional microSD->SD, miniSD->SD adapters.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - Slade - 11.05.2014 22:04

(07.05.2014 13:39)SWAT писал(а):  Doesn't matter, use SD card size as your socket size. Just not use additional microSD->SD, miniSD->SD adapters.

Hello SWAT! First of all thanks for the help and for your patience. I just saw there are two topics open with simular problem. It seems the adapter causing the problem as i tried two different dreamshell and three different cards and got the same results. Now i am going to try the strip board version of sd adapter or build the external one. But do not know which one should be better.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - SWAT - 12.05.2014 11:01

Better one that has the smallest wire length Wink

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - FACE666 - 29.08.2016 17:03

(07.05.2014 05:33)SWAT писал(а):  Kingston/Transcend/SanDisk, 6-10 Class, 4-16 GB.
hi there.first of all i like to tks for all the work and great forum.and can you help me please?can you tell me if i can use this sd card:
https://www.radiopopular.pt/catalogo/detalhesproduto.php?idprod=45772#.V8Qu8ygrKUl

Tks for all.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - SWAT - 30.08.2016 08:22

You can use any quality/branded SD/SDHC card. Your SD should works great.

RE: sd card / dreamshell difficulties - FACE666 - 30.08.2016 16:20

(30.08.2016 08:22)SWAT писал(а):  You can use any quality/branded SD/SDHC card. Your SD should works great.

tks.i cannot use the install whit the little pcb whit led and resistor to know if the card its use but i can managed to put it work whit the adapter connect directly to the serial,i now i can use micro sd cards.like this photo:[Изображение: sd-ponagem.png]

i make the speed test on dreamshell and this is the result:
Write speed:431.25Kb/s(3,37MB/s) time: 1,8996ms
Read speed:657.15Kb/s(5,15MB/s) time: 12466ms
Are this speed's good?