DC-SWAT Forum
Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - Версия для печати

+- DC-SWAT Forum (http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum)
+-- Форум: Sega Dreamcast (/forum-2.html)
+--- Форум: English section (/forum-29.html)
+--- Тема: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene (/thread-2453.html)

Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - the_importer - 20.07.2016 19:12

Hi there,

I've recently learned that it was possible to buy an SD adapter to plug into the serial port of the Dreamcast in order to load games in ISO format. Now I do this with my XBOX, Wii and PSP games because it's convenient, works with all of my games and preserves my original discs. I don't do with a PS2 because it's slow and not all games are compatible.

Now here are my questions:

1- Does the concept of SD via serial port + Dreamshell work with games (if not most) games of every region (my DC does have a region modchip if it helps) ?

2- Will gameplay, music and cutscenes play at the same speed as it would when using GD-ROMs?

3- Can I rip my own original games instead of downloading them (I have a data cap with my ISP)?

4- Is there a software in Dreamshell that will allow me to backup my VMU files to the SD card and in turn, allows me to transfer those files when I connect the SD card to my PC?

Thank you for your time

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - SWAT - 20.07.2016 20:37

1. DreamShell is region free and can boot games with any region
2. Nope, sometimes speed of SD via serial isn't enough, so better choice it's a HDD mod than SD.
3. Yes, DS has GD Ripper application
4. Yes, DS has VMU Manager application

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - the_importer - 20.07.2016 21:55

(20.07.2016 20:37)SWAT писал(а):  1. DreamShell is region free and can boot games with any region
2. Nope, sometimes speed of SD via serial isn't enough, so better choice it's a HDD mod than SD.
3. Yes, DS has GD Ripper application
4. Yes, DS has VMU Manager application

I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

Oh well, guess I'll stick with my discs.

Thanks anyway

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - Gillbert - 21.07.2016 00:22

(20.07.2016 21:55)the_importer писал(а):  I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

It's possible to use an 2,5" HDD (either 44pinIDE or SATA via adapter) and self-powered it from the DC internal PSU. Also it's possible to do the same thing with CF Card.

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - the_importer - 21.07.2016 00:46

(21.07.2016 00:22)Gillbert писал(а):  
(20.07.2016 21:55)the_importer писал(а):  I googled those HDD mods, ya, not the prettiest thing in the world to have an IDE drive with a power supply next to a Dreamcast 0_o

It's possible to use an 2,5" HDD (either 44pinIDE or SATA via adapter) and self-powered it from the DC internal PSU. Also it's possible to do the same thing with CF Card.

SD internally, you mean like this: https://gdemu.wordpress.com/installation/gdemu-installation/

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - Gillbert - 21.07.2016 00:57

No, I really meant HDD mod, not this expensive GD-EMU Smile

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - the_importer - 21.07.2016 16:41

(21.07.2016 00:57)Gillbert писал(а):  No, I really meant HDD mod, not this expensive GD-EMU Smile

The problem is that I have no modding skills. So if I were to pay for parts and any sort of modding services, it would come down to the same price as buying the GD-EMU which can be installed with the use of a single screwdriver.

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - rafa_apm - 22.07.2016 16:01

With the SD mod many games will nota work nice..
I have the skills, in half hour u got a HDD mod with a 2.5 HDD powered by the Dreamcast Wink

RE: Some questions before getting into the SD DC scene - the_importer - 22.07.2016 17:41

(22.07.2016 16:01)rafa_apm писал(а):  With the SD mod many games will nota work nice..
I have the skills, in half hour u got a HDD mod with a 2.5 HDD powered by the Dreamcast Wink

Thanks, but I'm in Canada, don't feel like shipping out my Dreamcast to where ever you live.