DC-SWAT Forum

Полная версия: ISO Loader 0.8.x Beta + preview of DreamShell v4.0 RC 5
Вы просматриваете yпpощеннyю веpсию форума. Пеpейти к полной веpсии.
Страниц: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Sorry my fault wrong Adapter. https://www.ebay.at/itm/404228710638?mkc...media=COPY

This is the correct one i have. The same as they from dragoncity.
They are working but i have problems with the New 0.8x Loader. Cracking sound in revolt and so on. I will buy the startech and look If it is better with that - thank you
I updated KallistiOS to latest and updated GCC to 13.2. Did a complete rebuild and made a test release: https://github.com/DC-SWAT/DreamShell/re...0.0RC5-T27
Also in this archive I put debug versions of core and iso loader firmware (in "debug" directory of isoldr).
So anybody can run with logging. But in some cases, logging levels will need to be adjusted to understand the reason.
When using debug loaders, you will often have to change the settings, since they take up more memory.
Serial baud rate is 115200.
(18.09.2023 14:19)SWAT писал(а): [ -> ]I updated KallistiOS to latest and updated GCC to 13.2. Did a complete rebuild and made a test release: https://github.com/DC-SWAT/DreamShell/re...0.0RC5-T27
Also in this archive I put debug versions of core and iso loader firmware (in "debug" directory of isoldr).
So anybody can run with logging. But in some cases, logging levels will need to be adjusted to understand the reason.
When using debug loaders, you will often have to change the settings, since they take up more memory.

Thank you @SWAT , God bless you!!

Yes, after differetn testing I found that the serial baud rate 115200 it works best Wink.... Goign to test everything!!!!
(18.09.2023 14:19)SWAT писал(а): [ -> ]I updated KallistiOS to latest and updated GCC to 13.2. Did a complete rebuild and made a test release: https://github.com/DC-SWAT/DreamShell/re...0.0RC5-T27

That's it, god bless you Big Grin

(18.09.2023 03:30)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Yes I mean exactly this one `https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2sat2` the product it's called `ide2sat2` and it's a beast!!!

Ok I think I'll buy one Smile

They are also selling some CF to ide adapter :
https://www.inmac-wstore.com/startech-co...00033cf871

quite expensive, what do you think about ?

In a video of arcade chihiro system, I saw a CF to ide adapter close to the @Swat's model :
https://youtu.be/ubN2kNG5pKc?t=720

@SWAT, I have installed everything from zero, and all the steps going smooth and now it works everything with latest upgrades, Great Job!!!

Now, that everything it's working, I would like to give you the Debugging resaults of the freezing problem from "Tomb Raider Chronicles".
I have tested few times and when the game freeze it repeats "REQdcREQCmd: 36" before freezing or at start of freezing seems there is also some "DMAdcREQCmd: 36" , please watch the pic attached below.
(18.09.2023 17:18)fafadou писал(а): [ -> ]

That's it, god bless you Big Grin

(18.09.2023 03:30)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Yes I mean exactly this one `https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2sat2` the product it's called `ide2sat2` and it's a beast!!!

Ok I think I'll buy one Smile

They are also selling some CF to ide adapter :
https://www.inmac-wstore.com/startech-co...00033cf871

quite expensive, what do you think about ?

In a video of arcade chihiro system, I saw a CF to ide adapter close to the @Swat's model :
https://youtu.be/ubN2kNG5pKc?t=720

It seems that you had a similar experience to mine with the DragonCity adapter, especially when it came to playing 'Revolt,' a game I was familiar with from the PlayStation side. I recall testing it, and if my memory serves me correctly, I encountered the same issues as you did.

I still prefer using the IDE to SSD instead of IDE to CF, for several reasons:

1. SSDs are more reliable compared to CF cards.

2. SSDs are more cost-effective and readily available with more GB, whereas CF cards are harder to find, smaller in terms of GB and more expensive.

3. SSDs offer better performance and are more likely to preserve data. The SSD are designed to withstand extreme conditions is less prone to data corruption or loss due to its resilience to such events.

4. I've managed to fit my entire mod setup inside the Dreamcast. If you were to look at my Dreamcast (excluding new lights and other modifications), it would appear like a standard Dreamcast. However, beneath the GDROM drive, there's a 1TB SSD.

5. To secure the SSD inside the Dreamcast alongside the GDROM drive, you only need to remove the metal cover from the GDROM and place the "NAKED SSD" beneath it. Please refer to the picture example below (of course, you should use some material to isolate the SSD to prevent any short circuits). In the end, the SSD is about the same size as the adapter and CF card combined.

So the CF to me it's just an alternative or middle solution for Dreamcast in between the best solution as SSD and the worst solution as the external SD.

Maybe the CF was convinient when the SSD was expensive and the choice between an HDD IDE/SATA or CF, of course for differetn reason at that time was right to take a CF, but in our days i cannot see any benefit to use the CF in front of the SSD.
@ChrisMod Your issue with Tomb Raider Chronicles is very likely the SATA adapter. I just tested it via CF and it works fine with no freezing. Played for 15+ minutes.

Using an IDE-to-SATA converter has always caused issues. CF is far better for compatibility.
(18.09.2023 19:56)pcwzrd13 писал(а): [ -> ]@ChrisMod Your issue with Tomb Raider Chronicles is very likely the SATA adapter. I just tested it via CF and it works fine with no freezing. Played for 15+ minutes.

Using an IDE-to-SATA converter has always caused issues. CF is far better for compatibility.

Hi @pcwzrd13, i don't think so because only with this game I experienced this..... I'm thinking that maybe because I'm using the PAL version of it.
Can you share please your image of Tomb Raider Chronicles?
(18.09.2023 20:02)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Hi @pcwzrd13, i don't think so because only with this game I experienced this..... I'm thinking that maybe because I'm using the PAL version of it.

Sure. Here you go.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1mo64phr5...C.zip/file

I've never noticed a big difference between images from different regions though. I mean at the end of the day they're the same game, by the same developer, just with minor tweaks for different regions.
(18.09.2023 20:25)pcwzrd13 писал(а): [ -> ]
(18.09.2023 20:02)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Hi @pcwzrd13, i don't think so because only with this game I experienced this..... I'm thinking that maybe because I'm using the PAL version of it.

Sure. Here you go.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1mo64phr5...C.zip/file

I've never noticed a big difference between images from different regions though. I mean at the end of the day they're the same game, by the same developer, just with minor tweaks for different regions.

Thank you buddy Smile.

Yes it changes, not game obviosly, but the way of preparation or the actual image if any corruption, at that time I downloaded few versions that now even me i don't know which is which one... Also I found now in this list `http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-3851.html` i will test both....And I will report back.
Thank you again.
I use a 40 cm 80 Wire IDE Cable. Ist this to Long?
@CrisMod I can save you a bit of work. I just tested the game with a SATA adapter + HDD and it freezes consistently. It's definitely the SATA adapter that's the issue.
(18.09.2023 23:00)Freudi93 писал(а): [ -> ]I use a 40 cm 80 Wire IDE Cable. Ist this to Long?

This is the good wire. With blue connector, in general Smile

it's better to use a shorter one, but I run my dreamshell with a 40cm long too.
The Problem is i cannot find shorter ones with 80 wires. I could Take a Long one where i use only the above cable
(18.09.2023 18:45)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]@SWAT, I have installed everything from zero, and all the steps going smooth and now it works everything with latest upgrades, Great Job!!!

It's good that there are no more issues.

(18.09.2023 18:45)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Now, that everything it's working, I would like to give you the Debugging resaults of the freezing problem from "Tomb Raider Chronicles".
I have tested few times and when the game freeze it repeats "REQdcREQCmd: 36" before freezing or at start of freezing seems there is also some "DMAdcREQCmd: 36" , please watch the pic attached below.

Looks like there is a problem with the output, the log has started to overlap here. Judging by the squares in the output, there are has issues with it. But in general, it is clear that the problem occurred immediately after the data transfer via DMA was initiated.

(18.09.2023 19:18)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]I still prefer using the IDE to SSD instead of IDE to CF, for several reasons:

2. SSDs are more cost-effective and readily available with more GB, whereas CF cards are harder to find, smaller in terms of GB and more expensive.

3. SSDs offer better performance and are more likely to preserve data. The SSD are designed to withstand extreme conditions is less prone to data corruption or loss due to its resilience to such events.

4. I've managed to fit my entire mod setup inside the Dreamcast. If you were to look at my Dreamcast (excluding new lights and other modifications), it would appear like a standard Dreamcast. However, beneath the GDROM drive, there's a 1TB SSD.

5. To secure the SSD inside the Dreamcast alongside the GDROM drive, you only need to remove the metal cover from the GDROM and place the "NAKED SSD" beneath it. Please refer to the picture example below (of course, you should use some material to isolate the SSD to prevent any short circuits). In the end, the SSD is about the same size as the adapter and CF card combined.

So the CF to me it's just an alternative or middle solution for Dreamcast in between the best solution as SSD and the worst solution as the external SD.

Maybe the CF was convinient when the SSD was expensive and the choice between an HDD IDE/SATA or CF, of course for differetn reason at that time was right to take a CF, but in our days i cannot see any benefit to use the CF in front of the SSD.

This is all good, of course, but the point is that the choice is not between a СF and SSD, but between a native IDE and SATA converter. The HDD IDE works best, for that matter, but the CF is much faster and compact.
(18.09.2023 23:11)pcwzrd13 писал(а): [ -> ]@CrisMod I can save you a bit of work. I just tested the game with a SATA adapter + HDD and it freezes consistently. It's definitely the SATA adapter that's the issue.

Hi pcwzrd13,

I've conducted some tests with both images, the one you provided and the one I found on this site signed by megavolt85. NOW IT WORKS(I have tested for 40 Minutes without problems)! I used Sega Rally 2 settings and below have attached the settings that work for me (and my MOD) without any freezes. I'm currently using IsoLoader 7.x (although I'll need to do more tests to figure out which version of IsoLoader 8.x works best for me).

I noticed that the two GDI images differ in size, even though they should be the same NTSC-U image. Is there some different background preparation involved? Or could megavolt85's image be from another region?

I'd also like to respectfully disagree with you on one point. We're talking about a modification from GD-ROM to IDE, where data emulation takes place, and then from IDE to CF or IDE to SATA, so we're dealing with three steps where the Dreamcast is extremely sensitive to any changes, even a single resistor can alter data transfer.

I've heard and seen people having issues with both CF and SATA adapters, and I imagine for developers, it's a headache to deal with all the minor differences in each MOD. In the past, apart from DragonCity's, I initially tried a cheap adapter from China that I had lying around for other IDE to SATA hardware, and that adapter was a disaster in terms of freezes, and so on.

Initially, I used high-quality IDE cables for connections (which are of excellent quality) until I discovered that, apart from the cable length, the Dreamcast is susceptible to even the tiniest data oscillations passing through the cables. This is why cable length and the type of cable through which binary data passes can affect the results (now I'm using the wires that are more lighter to avoid any oscillations from the waights of the cable and that emulate the moterboard connections, which give me more spasce to use sligltly longher cables which fits my type of MOD) .

I believe there's no one-size-fits-all modification for this type of Mod, but rather it's about finding the best balance between IDE connection length (if not using cables or minimal length is better), the type of translation between IDE to CF / SATA or whatever you choose, and the final product you select as storage (because even that can make a difference, we're talking micro-variations, but they exist).

So, IDE-SATA is more native than IDE to CF, one of them is regarding LBA, which CF must emulate and its extra translations. Freezing issues are often related to cable length and the adapter. I'll reiterate that even a single resistor can change the data transfer speed and cause freezes.

So, it's not that all SATA or CF adapters (as mentioned by other users) have this problem. The issue arises when adapting these technologies, and the freezing problem is also tied to the data transfer rate per second. CF is closer to the IDE speed, so SATA choices need to be made carefully, and not just any model should be installed. If the data transfer is too fast or too slow from SATA to IDE, it can lead to problems (addition if we talking about the type of actual chipset problems, where it need to translate accurately the actual datas to).

Anyway, it works perfectly now, and I want to thank all of you. I also thank pcwzrd13 for his wonderful list, which I imagine takes a lot of time to create. However, if needed, I believe we should test games under the best possible conditions with the mods and try to understand if the issue lies in the DreamShell source code or, as in my case, in the image preparation when converting to GDI or another format, or both.
(19.09.2023 06:15)SWAT писал(а): [ -> ]
(18.09.2023 18:45)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]@SWAT, I have installed everything from zero, and all the steps going smooth and now it works everything with latest upgrades, Great Job!!!

It's good that there are no more issues.

(18.09.2023 18:45)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]Now, that everything it's working, I would like to give you the Debugging resaults of the freezing problem from "Tomb Raider Chronicles".

Looks like there is a problem with the output, the log has started to overlap here. Judging by the squares in the output, there are has issues with it. But in general, it is clear that the problem occurred immediately after the data transfer via DMA was initiated.

(18.09.2023 19:18)CrisMod писал(а): [ -> ]I still prefer using the IDE to SSD instead of IDE to CF, for several reasons:

This is all good, of course, but the point is that the choice is not between a СF and SSD, but between a native IDE and SATA converter. The HDD IDE works best, for that matter, but the CF is much faster and compact.

Thank you @SWAT, to check it!!
Is there some work around for this overlap problem to test the IsoLoader 8.x with SATA MOD?
At least i can test and report to you de debugging...
@CrisMod
Do you really think that the response from the CF card will be longer than from the SSD through the converter? Somehow I doubt it. And I don’t agree that the CF is closer in speed to the GD-ROM than the SATA SSD, because CF squeezes the maximum out of the G1 bus and responds with lightning speed. What seems impossible to me when using interface converters so it should work slower, because any converter is additional delay.
But it would be interesting to compare loading, for example UT or Sordiers of Fortune for PIO and DOA2 or D2 for DMA testing. I am sure that a good CF will beat everyone, including GD-EMU.
(19.09.2023 10:12)SWAT писал(а): [ -> ]@CrisMod
Do you really think that the response from the CF card will be longer than from the SSD through the converter? Somehow I doubt it. And I don’t agree that the CF is closer in speed to the GD-ROM than the SATA SSD, because CF squeezes the maximum out of the G1 bus and responds with lightning speed. What seems impossible to me when using interface converters so it should work slower, because any converter is additional delay.
But it would be interesting to compare loading, for example UT or Sordiers of Fortune for PIO and DOA2 or D2 for DMA testing. I am sure that a good CF will beat everyone, including GD-EMU.

No, I believe that the CF could give greater compatibility because the speed is more similar to the wear of the IDE GDROM pass-through bus, instead the SATA with the SSD, being its faster nature, the adapter must make a layer of slowdown at the data speed - DOA2, D2 and so - on the SATA side this could lead to the problem of freezes in the SATA and for this reason you need a high quality chipset to translate and bypass the data to make it happen that remains as faithful as possible to the passing bus.
This is why with the most stable and faithful MOD installations possible we should ALL, try to understand how to make Dreamshell more versatile and compatible possible.
I'm here guys totally open to experiment the things with you Wink
I'm trying to watch on the list of @pcwzrd13 to test around, and I noticed that with the new IsoLoader 8.x he found the problems with `SEGA RALLY 2` that doesn't work with new Firmware, he has Random Freezing .

On my side I found the perfect settings and the game perform perfectly; I made many rounds, Game-Overs and restart, and play with it for awile and I don't have any issue, no sound problems, no freezing and so on.

The magic happened if I turned ON the `Low-level` Option, somebody can explain what for this Low-level option , please?

So I attached the Isoloader 8.26 working settings below.
Страниц: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
URL ссылки